Initial reaction to this film? (Spoilers)

Discussion of Eraserhead

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Earthis

Initial reaction to this film? (Spoilers)

Post by Earthis »

I guess I'd like to know what was running through everyone's minds the first time through this movie. I remember watching it with a friend of mine (who isn't normally into these types of films but is the one who recommended to me..) and immediately crying afterwards. She was just as surprised by this reaction as I was. I had no idea why it caused this reaction, nor did I expect it at all. I just expected it to disturb me (which it definitely did). I remember immediately trying to formulate some kind of theory as to what it all meant, what it symbolized but coming up short. I watched the interview with David after watching it, and I remember being interested in how "normal" his personality was in comparison with the content of his movies. He came across as this extremely loving, Grandfatherly, friendly type, which I also did not expect at all. He seemed to genuinely care about and love whomever he was talking to in interviews, not like the sort of snobbery one would come to expect from this kind of film making.

Ultimately I'm not sure if I'll ever watch this movie again, but I owe it enough to credit it for piquing my interest enough to investigate Lynch's work further. If I hadn't watched it, I wouldn't be a Twin Peaks fan now.

Have you had a similar experience? If not, what was going through your head the first time? What was your reaction to the ending? Which scene hit you the hardest?

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.