Dune Song similar to Blue Velvet-Shostakovich influence?

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Dune Song similar to Blue Velvet-Shostakovich influence?

Post by moviemaker »

I was listening to the Dune (Extended Score) today and there is a song called "Departure" Track 9 that sounds so similar to a theme on the Blue Velvet soundtrack (it occurs after 20 seconds into the song).

I know that for Blue Velvet David Lynch's direction/inspiration for Angelo was the classic composer Dmitri Shostakovich (you can hear the Blue Velvet theme on one of his classical albums).

This song on Dune sounds very similar so it wouldn't suprise me if Lynch gave Toto some direction regarding Shostakovich.

Listen to the track and tell me what you think...
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

That's cool, moviemaker! Unfortunately, I never bought the Dune score and I'm sure nobody out there is still selling them.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

Annie,

You can still find both the original and the Expanded score on eBay all the time. Here I created a search for you to use on eBay which you can modify:

http://music.search.ebay.com/Dune_CDs_W ... fQQsaslcZ2

If you can't find it, I'll make you a copy (but only for you--not takin' requests here, ha!)
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thank you, moviemaker! Unfortunately, after all the TP and IE stuff, I'm broke. Nice of you to think of me...
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

Annie wrote:Thank you, moviemaker! Unfortunately, after all the TP and IE stuff, I'm broke. Nice of you to think of me...
Check you PM Annie. I sent you something...
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Gee, thanks moviemaker!!!
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Re: Dune Song similar to Blue Velvet-Shostakovich influence?

Post by moviemaker »

I'm a bit surprised that David Lynch was able to make Blue Velvet (also produced by De Laurentiis) after Dune's commercial and critical failure, though I am glad, of course.

I imagine David was in Director's jail after that movie and couldn't get another studio picture off the ground. But I suspect he signed a two picture deal with Dino and Raffaella before Dune was released and when it came time to make Blue Velvet, the budget was so small (and the fact that they had taken Dune away from him in the cutting room) that they just left David alone to make the movie that he wanted to make.