Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thread

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thr

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:Here is as complete a list as I can come up with for what is unreleased:

Unused unreleased bootleg tracks:
Flute Reprise
It was partially used in episode 19 (corrected on the list) - end of is was used in the half-speed version:

Code: Select all

02. [Mix] 04:59-05:16
  a. Coin [sound effect]
  b. Dance of the Dream Man (Solo Sax) [half-speed]
  c. Freshly Squeezed (Solo Flute Reprise) [half-speed, end]
I'd love to have them both - original and screen edit from that scene. Screen edit has something magical... :D
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:
DEniZZrus wrote:
Solo Percussion 1 = the percussion in Dance Of The Dream Man
Dance of The Dream Man (percussion version) 8)
Dance of The Dream Man (Solo Percussion) :D
DEniZZrus wrote:And Percussion #3 is Freshly Squeezed (fast cool jazz percussion version), right?
Yep.
I think that all "Cool Jazz Versions" should be renamed to "Dance of the Dream Man" or just "Fast Cool Jazz".

They all go like this:

Audrey's Dance/Bookhouse Boys - slowest
Freshly Squeezed - slow
Freshly Squeezed (Mid-tempo) - little faster
Dance of the Dream Man/Audrey's Dance (Fast) - fast
Fast Cool Jazz - fastest

So it should be like this:

Dance of the Dream Man (Vibraphone) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version)]

Dance of the Dream Man (Cool Jazz Clean) (Partial) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2 Clean) (Partial)]
Dance of the Dream Man (Cool Jazz Solo Bass) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Solo Bass)]
Dance of the Dream Man (Cool Jazz Vibraphone) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2)]
Dance of the Dream Man (Cool Jazz Clarinet) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2 Clarinet)]
Dance of the Dream Man (Cool Jazz Soprano Clarinet) - [Dance of the Dream Man (Fast Soprano Clarinet)]

or just:

Dance of the Dream Man (Vibraphone) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version)]

Fast Cool Jazz (Clean) (Partial) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2 Clean) (Partial)]
Fast Cool Jazz (Solo Bass) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Solo Bass)]
Fast Cool Jazz (Vibraphone) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2)]
Fast Cool Jazz (Clarinet) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2 Clarinet)]
Fast Cool Jazz (Soprano Clarinet) - [Dance of the Dream Man (Fast Soprano Clarinet)]

:wink:
Last edited by qbin2001 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

qbin2001 wrote:
Ross wrote:
DEniZZrus wrote:And Percussion #3 is Freshly Squeezed (fast cool jazz percussion version), right?
Yep.
2/3 of the original track. So it should be Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Percussion Version) (Partial) :lol:
Yeah- from the fact that it is actually the Solo Percussion from FS (FCJ), (and the fact that it fades out) we can tell that Solo Percussion 3 is actually a partial track- missing about a minute at the end.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

qbin2001 wrote:or just:

Fast Cool Jazz (Clean) (Partial) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2 Clean) (Partial)]
Fast Cool Jazz (Solo Bass) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Solo Bass)]
Fast Cool Jazz (Vibraphone) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2)]
Fast Cool Jazz (Clarinet) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2 Clarinet)]
Fast Cool Jazz (Soprano Clarinet) - [Dance of the Dream Man (Fast Soprano Clarinet)]

:wink:
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2 Clarinet) & Dance of the Dream Man (Fast Soprano Clarinet) are the same track.

Fast Cool Jazz versions are:
Not really "Fast Cool Jazz":
Dance Of The Dream Man (Vibraphone) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 1)]

Full versions:
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2)]
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Clarinet) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2 Clarinet)/Dance of the Dream Man (Fast Soprano Clarinet)]
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Clean) *partial - missing the first 2:13 minutes

Solo versions:
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Solo Clarinet) - [Dance Of The Dream Man (Solo Clarinet 2)]
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Solo Bass)
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Solo Vibraphone) - not released (yet?) (on bootleg)
Solo Percussion 3 *partial - missing the last minute+
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
DEniZZrus
RR Diner Member

Post by DEniZZrus »

Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Solo Vibraphone) - not released (yet?) (on bootleg)
Actually it's DOTDM (solo vibraphone) because vibraphone solo from...
Dance Of The Dream Man (Vibraphone) - [Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 1)]
...sounds there :wink:

I'd suggest a fairly simple principle of separation between Freshly Squeezed (fast cool jazz) and Dance of The Dream Man:
- FS consists of [Percussion Solo #3] + [bass+vibraphone+flute unison punctuation] + [solo instrument]
- DOTDM consists of [Percussion Solo #1] + [bass punctuation] + [solo instrument]

It turns out that only sax and flute (Tojamura's arrival) versions of DOTDM used in the series. So, having DOTDM (bass & drums) and solo versions for clarinet (I mean clarinet solo #1 - it's the only actually since clarinet solo #2 isn't DOTDM's but FS's solo) and for flute we can create complete versions: unused DOTDM (clarinet) and partially used DOTDM (flute) 8)
I'm not X-files fan but... damn, the truth is really out there!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

DEniZZrus wrote:
Actually it's DOTDM (solo vibraphone) because vibraphone solo from...
...sounds there :wink:
Yes- you are right. The unreleased boot track is Dance Of The Dream Man (Solo Vibraphone) not Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Solo Vibraphone)
DEniZZrus wrote:I'd suggest a fairly simple principle of separation between Freshly Squeezed (fast cool jazz) and Dance of The Dream Man:
- FS consists of [Percussion Solo #3] + [bass+vibraphone+flute unison punctuation] + [solo instrument]
- DOTDM consists of [Percussion Solo #1] + [bass punctuation] + [solo instrument]
This is correct, and is the best way of looking at it.
DEniZZrus wrote:It turns out that only sax and flute (Tojamura's arrival) versions of DOTDM used in the series. So, having DOTDM (bass & drums) and solo versions for clarinet (I mean clarinet solo #1 - it's the only actually since clarinet solo #2 isn't DOTDM's but FS's solo) and for flute we can create complete versions: unused DOTDM (clarinet) and partially used DOTDM (flute) 8)
I made my own DOTDM (clarinet) and DOTDM (flute) a while ago- both sound great, especially the flute version- my favorite version actually.

Also,
The released Freshly Squeezed (Solo Vibraphone) is actually the vibraphone solo from the Mid-Tempo version.

And lastly,
The Bookhouse Boys without the guitars is actually Audrey's Dance (Drums And Bass)!!
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:And lastly,
The Bookhouse Boys without the guitars is actually Audrey's Dance (Drums And Bass)!!
It would be cool to have full 'Solo Guitar", but I don't believe it is in the Archive. I was hoping for acapella and instrumental version from TP/Julee Cruise albums (and acapella of Jimmy Scott) but I don't think we'll get it.

There is also on the boots very slow solo vibraphone version of Freshly squeezed (I don't think it would match original FS tempo).
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

qbin2001 wrote:There is also on the boots very slow solo vibraphone version of Freshly squeezed (I don't think it would match original FS tempo).
I wonder about that one myself. Its much too slow for original FS (or any of the others) so I wonder what it's origin is?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

For any interested, here's a breakdown of the versions:

Slowest (Audrey’s Dance) versions:
Bookhouse Boys - Audrey's Dance (Drums And Bass) + guitars
Audrey's Dance
Audrey's Dance (Clean)
Audrey's Dance (Drums And Bass)
Audrey's Dance (Percussion And Clarinets)
Audrey's Dance (Solo Rhodes)
Audrey's Dance (Synth And Vibraphone)

Slow (Freshly Squeezed) versions:
Freshly Squeezed
Freshly Squeezed (Bass Clarinet)
Freshly Squeezed (Clarinet)
Freshly Squeezed (Flute)
Solos:
Freshly Squeezed (Solo Bass Clarinet)
Freshly Squeezed (Solo Clarinet)
Freshly Squeezed (Solo Flute)

Little faster version:
Freshly Squeezed (Mid-Tempo Version)
Solos:
Freshly Squeezed (Mid-Tempo Solo Vibraphone) – released as Freshly Squeezed (Mid-Tempo Solo Vibraphone)

Fast (Dance Of The Dream Man/Audrey’s Dance Fast) versions:
Audrey's Dance (Clean Fast)
Audrey's Dance (Dance Of The Dream Man Sax)
Audrey's Dance (Dance Of The Dream Man Clarinet)
Audrey's Dance (Dance Of The Dream Man Flute)
Dance Of The Dream Man (Original)
Dance Of The Dream Man (Vibraphone) – released as Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 1)
Dance Of The Dream Man (Clarinet) – mix can be made from Drums & Bass and solo Clarinet
Dance Of The Dream Man (Flute) – mix can be made from Drums & Bass and solo Flute
Dance Of The Dream Man (Drums And Bass)
Solos:
Dance Of The Dream Man (Solo Sax)
Dance Of The Dream Man (Solo Vibraphone) – not released [on bootleg]
Dance Of The Dream Man (Solo Clarinet)
Dance Of The Dream Man (Solo Flute)
Dance Of The Dream Man (Solo Bass) *partial – missing first 31 seconds & last minute
Solo Percussion 1

Fastest (Fast Cool Jazz) versions:
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version) – released as Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2)
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Clarinet) – released as Dance of the Dream Man (Fast Soprano Clarinet) and then as Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Version 2 Clarinet)
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Clean) *partial – missing first 2:15 minutes
Solos:
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Solo Clarinet) – released as Dance Of The Dream Man (Solo Clarinet 2)
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Solo Bass)
Solo Percussion 3 *partial – missing last minute

So in theory, there could still be:
Freshly Squeezed (Solo Vibraphone)
Freshly Squeezed (Solo Bass)
Dance Of The Dream Man (Solo Sax) [no echo/reverb]
Freshly Squeezed (Fast Cool Jazz Solo Vibraphone)

And there’s also the short, very slow vibraphone solo on the boots- not sure where that fits in.
Cooped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cooped »

Well folks, I am not going to have a chance to check things before the final release (plus I will be in bed at release time, due to my being in the UK), so I wanted so say that thus far it's been a blast speculating about releases to come and all of us collectively praising Dean.

It's been great, and I feel really fortunate that something we are all so passionate about has led to these releases.

Amazing.

Can't wait for the last release.....
The Autarch

Post by The Autarch »

A part of me has this fleeting concern that we won't get a release tonight due to Dugpa and Dean's last message that the final release would take "some time" to prepare... I'm hoping that won't be the case, though! This is exciting!
"To be in power, you didn't need guns, money or even numbers; you just needed the will to do what the other guy wouldn't."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

The Autarch wrote:A part of me has this fleeting concern that we won't get a release tonight due to Dugpa and Dean's last message that the final release would take "some time" to prepare... I'm hoping that won't be the case, though! This is exciting!
I'm really hoping for tonight.
BookhouseBoyBob
Site Admin

Post by BookhouseBoyBob »

Everyone..it's been a genuine pleasure sharing this journey with all of you...

The final bundle is now up:

To end at the beginning seems an appropriate destination for the year + journey that has been The Twin Peaks Archive. Before the myriad versions, before there were variations on themes, before there were mix minus and stem extracts, there were the original musical ideas: the 'demos' that were recorded to capture fledgling compositions. Most of the demos included here are from a single cassette recording dated February, 1989. Listening to these Fender Rhodes demos, one is able to hear the soundtrack to Twin Peaks just as Badalamenti and Lynch initially heard it. As demos go, Rhodes piano was an incredibly suited compositional choice as it has an inherently mellow sound over that of an acoustic piano. This, in addition to its built-in vibrato controls enabled demo recordings to be made that contained far more information than simply chords and melody…it served as a document of tone and mood as well. Most interesting in some of these early recordings are the hybrid versions of 'Falling' and 'Laura Palmer's Theme'…on several occasions, the two compositions are actually merged into one. (Separately included is a later demo of 'Questions in a World of Blue' sung by Badalamenti himself).

From here, we are left with the spinning world beyond Twin Peaks… 'On the Air' would be the subsequent Lynch/Frost follow up, premiering on ABC a mere months after 'Fire Walk With Me' debuted at Cannes in 1992 (although replaced after only 3 aired episodes). The composition known in the Twin Peaks universe as 'Half Heart' would later double as a brief love theme for the newly created television sitcom. 3 unused versions of Love Theme from 'On The Air' are included here. Although these compositions were recorded specifically during 'On The Air' session dates, the mood is undeniably Twin Peaks in origin…a subtle nod at continuing the music's life beyond the finality of a singular television series…

Today, what has been left behind is a staggering volume of original music for what was ultimately a relatively short series (in the world of serial television). Hopefully, these archive releases have helped and will continue to help service the continued life of an imagined place...

May there always be music in the air...
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

:D & :(
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-07-12 at 11.28.11 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-07-12 at 11.28.11 PM.png (231.09 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
Screen shot 2012-07-12 at 11.28.24 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-07-12 at 11.28.24 PM.png (45.49 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM