DL Art Exhibit in Jordan

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

RStandfest
Roadhouse Member

DL Art Exhibit in Jordan

Post by RStandfest »

As part of the 2008 Jordan Festival, David Lynch will be exhibiting two suites of Lithographic prints that were created recently at the historic Atelier Idem in the Montparnasse section of Paris. The suites are titled The Paris Suite, and The Women. In his exhibition notes, Mr. Lynch indicates that The Paris Suite, came out of the series of Post-It Note drawings that were displayed in The Air is on Fire exhibitions. The printing facility of Atelier Idem, has produced work in the past by Picasso, Dubuffet and Giacometti, when it was called Atelier Mourlot. Here is the link containing a tiny amount of information for the Lynch exhibit, including his statement:

http://www.visitjordan.com/jordanfestiv ... _LYNCH.htm

I have attempted to contact both the Jordan Festival, as well as Atelier Idem, to secure some images of this new print work of Mr. Lynch's, but have been unsuccessful in getting any replies. If there is anybody out there in Paris who could pay a visit to Atelier Idem, I would be most grateful for any assistance with this.

Cheers.
este

Re: DL Art Exhibit in Jordan

Post by este »

Hello!

You can see lithographies of DL and "Paris Suite" at this link (the name is "Item Éditions" and not "Idem").

Unfortunately, I live in France, but not in Paris... Sorry :(
RStandfest
Roadhouse Member

Post by RStandfest »

Man oh man! Thank you so much Este! It is so great to see these. They are incredible images. The child-like, immediate quality of these, and especially the humor, is so wonderful.

Thanks also for correcting the spelling of the studio. For some reason, it has appeared with the "d."

Cheers.
Last edited by RStandfest on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

Does anyone have images of the 'animal prints' by DL?
Here's a link of some lithos made for Tandem Press,it's well known propably:
http://www.tandempress.wisc.edu/tandem/ ... /lynch.htm
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Anybody been visiting the link este put up for us for the art exhibit in Jordan? Dugpa also posted it on the front page. It's interesting; I like David's photography better.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
doublemain
Roadhouse Member

Post by doublemain »

RStandfest wrote: I have attempted to contact both the Jordan Festival, as well as Atelier Idem, to secure some images of this new print work of Mr. Lynch's, but have been unsuccessful in getting any replies. If there is anybody out there in Paris who could pay a visit to Atelier Idem, I would be most grateful for any assistance with this.
following your request regarding the new lynch exhibition in düsseldorf entitled 'new photographs', I also got in touch with item editions ; here's their answer :

David Lynch a commencé à travailler avec nous au printemps 2007 lors de son exposition à la Fondation Cartier. Il n'avait jamais réalisé auparavant de lithographies.
Nous avons organisé une exposition de ses premières lithographies l'automne dernier dans notre galerie à Montparnasse qui est attenante à l'atelier où il les réalise. Ce sont toutes des éditions limitées à 30 exemplaires et nous n'avons pas pour l'instant, pour répondre à votre question, publié de catalogue. Il y aura probablement en 2009 une exposition plus importante qui devrait circuler dans des musées européens et sans doute un catalogue.
Pour l'heure, David Lynch poursuit son exploration et revient régulièrement à Paris. Il sera d'ailleurs de nouveau au travail dans la quinzaine à venir.

which means :

David Lynch started working with us from spring 2007 on, while he was setting up his exhibition at the Fondation Cartier. He had no experience whatsoever with lithographs.
We held an exhibit of his lithographs debut last fall in our gallery based in Montparnasse which is adjacent to the workshop where he made these. These are all 30 copies limited editions and we did not yet publish any exhibition catalogue. There will most likely be an even larger exhibit in 2009 which is due to get around a few museums within europe, and eventually, a catalogue might be published.
For now, David Lynch goes on experimenting with lithographs and keeps coming back to Paris. He will even be there in the next couple of weeks.
RStandfest
Roadhouse Member

Post by RStandfest »

Thanks-a-million doublemain! This is great news. Being a printmaker myself, I am excited to see Lynch working in the medium of lithography. The double prospect of a show along with a catalogue, is fantastic. Since I couldn't make it to The Air is On Fire, hopefully the currency exchange rate will adjust so that I can make it to this showing in 2009.

Cheers,
Ryan