Blue Bob concert

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Blue Bob concert

Post by eyeboogers »

Did any audio / video ever surface of the one and only Blue Bob live appearance in france a few years back ??
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I never realized there was a concert. Will ask John Neff.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I think I saw some hand held footage on the net before. I know that the concert was supposed to b professionally taped and was going to be releasd on DL.com as wel as a possible DVD release. However, I think there may have been some rights issues between Blue Bob and the label or something of the sort.

Maybe we could get Mr. Neff to drop in on this board. :)
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

This concert in Paris L'olympia was, according to critics, a bit of a scandal, because it was quite expensive and Lynch and Neff only played 30 minutes. Most people were really annoyed with it. And I suppose most people who were in the audience had never heard one song from Blue Boy, so it must have been a surprise for them.
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

We did record it 24-track digital, and we did a four camera shoot. I am in possession of one camera's material from two days of rehearsal in Paris and trhe show, but this was the balcony camera. David owns the sound master (which I have mixed) and the three camera footage from the floor and the stage. There are a couple of shots from the concert on my website.

I do not know if there will ever be a DVD, but would like to see it surface.

As to the 'scandal', we were contracted for a 25 minute set, and we were to open for Beth Gibbons (Portishead) and Rustin Man. The DAY of the show, someone flip-flopped the billing and put us on top. We did not ask for it and we did not want it. We were only there to support the release of the record in Europe. It was not 'our' show. We were apparently paid a fair amount of money, but it all went to transport (6 people to France from LA), the rehearsal hall and gear rental, lodging, etc. Dave and I pulled almost 10 grand apiece out of our pocket because the money did not cover expenses. The band was paid, but we were not. All the arrangements and the money were handled by our erstwhile record company. We never saw or received any money. We did it for the love of the music, and to treat the Euro DL.com members, who travelled from all over Europe, the Middle East and America to see us. We hosted a backstage party for the members, which also cost us a lot of money.

So, the scandal belongs with the promoters and the record label, not with us.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

I remember only hearing great things about the concert from those in attendance.

It also produced a super cool poster which hangs in my room ;-)
Cryptx

Re: Blue Bob concert

Post by Cryptx »

Hi,

Well, i know it is a very old topic but i'm new here and i was reading the forum when i found this topic...
It reminds me that i was there at the time, to this concert, it was great to see them live even if it was very short, the audience were a bit upset at the end of the show cos we wanted more... Anyway, i was supposed to go to berlin to see "the cure" live at the tempodrom on the same night but i decided to go to see Blue Bob, and it was a good decision, i had a great time there.. I remember i bought the limited edition box and a couple of buttons on the merchandising ^^
I wish we could find this show on DVD or CD...

And BTW, that's a great forum, thanks for it, i felt a bit lonely before i found you all here ^^

And excuse my english, i'm french, sometimes it's a bit difficult :-)
j9
Roadhouse Member

Re:

Post by j9 »

John Neff wrote:So, the scandal belongs with the promoters and the record label, not with us.
That doesn't surprise me at all.
este

Post by este »

Here is a french link concerning the Blue Bob live in Paris. There is no video but a lot of photos !
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hervé Love »

Most of the photos on this website have been made by Sophie Hay, a french photographer.
After the show, Lynch had invited some members of the community of fans, especially from davidlynch.com
You can also see thes pictures on this site.

Everything is extracted from "Objectif cinema", which is (was ?) a french web magazine about cinema.
A big part of this site is dedicated to Lynch work : http://www.objectif-cinema.com/rubrique ... rique=0176