Eraserhead 30th Anniversary in L.A. (LACMA Museum)

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Eraserhead 30th Anniversary in L.A. (LACMA Museum)

Post by Jerry Horne »

"Eraserhead" - 30th Anniversary Restoration
Saturday, January 19 | 9:10 pm
David Lynch
1978/b&w/88 min. | Scr/dir: David Lynch; w/ Jack Nance, Charlotte Stewart

A debut film of boundless invention and textured abstraction, Lynch's Eraserhead became a fixture of midnight screenings when it surfaced in the late-1970s. Father to a helpless creature left to him by his estranged girlfriend, lonely Henry wanders through a hallucinatory landscape somewhere between noir expressionism and post-apocalyptic surrealism."

+

"The Short Films of David Lynch"
Friday, January 18 | 9:10 pm
David Lynch
1966-1996/color and b&w/76 min.| Scr/dir: David Lynch

From 1966's Six Men Getting Sick, a component of an art installation created while Lynch was a student, to Premonitions Following an Evil Deed, his 1996 contribution to the anthology film Lumière et compagnie honoring the turn-of-the-century inventors of cinema, tonight's program presents the diverse scope of David Lynch's short film work. Lynch's first wife Peggy stars in 1968's The Alphabet, an illustration of the ABCs filtered through child-like horror. The American Film Institute funded Lynch's darkly magical The Grandmother (1970) in which a boy uses his imagination to escape from his troubles at home. Shot while Lynch was working on Eraserhead to test two different kinds of black-and-white video stocks, 1974's The Amputee stars the director himself tending to a woman missing both legs. Following Blue Velvet, Lynch produced The Cowboy and the Frenchman (1988) for French television. Working for the first time with Harry Dean Stanton, an actor who would become a fixture for much of the director's feature films, Lynch fashions a comical encounter between the Old World and the Wild West."

+

"Lynch" January 18th 7.30pm + 19th 7.30pm

VIEW More HERE:
www.lacma.org/programs/FilmListing.aspx#1188240397660
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

Went to see Lynch (One) and Eraserhead last night...both were phenomenal and with great sound but Eraserhead had so many scratches including one long, big one running down the center of the print.

Still it was great to see Eraserhead on a big screen with a decent sound system. I had only seen it on DVD before. It really plays differently when projected...I mean I noticed scenes and shots that I felt like I hadn't seen before--I'm sure I had but it all just felt different... in a good way.

What was interesting (and what I had forgotten) was the scene of Henry with The Woman Next Door kissing in his bed filled with white liquid as they slowly sink underwater--this shot is taken directly from Fellini's 8 1/2 --and Lynch does it perfectly and to greater effect.

Place was packed and it was funny to see people's reactions. I think the woman in front of me never saw it and she was scared and horrified--kept covering her eyes and saying oh my god, oh my god--it was awesome!

The crowd really laughed at Mr. X when he's talking to Henry about cutting them like regularl chickens and later just staring, frozen at Henry. Actually the whole Mr. X encounter had the crowd in stitches.

Such a beautiful thing...
Tonya J
RR Diner Member

Post by Tonya J »

L.A. scares me but I would love to start attending some of these film events. I so wish I could have been a fly on that wall. What a great experience it must have been.
Leland's daughter was murdered and the Norwegians left.
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

Scary can be good... if it inspires you. Not if it makes you anxious...

To quote a character from a Coen Brothers movie: ...all these folks, they put their pants on one leg at a time like you and me...
Tonya J
RR Diner Member

Post by Tonya J »

L.A. is scary because it's basically an unfamiliar place to me, even having grown up near San Diego. I hardly ever went there. Can scary be inspiring? Sure. Forcing yourself to do things you're not accustomed to doing can be liberating. I just haven't had the financial wherewithal in the last several years to be able to do some of this great artistic stuff. I hope, someday fairly soon.
Leland's daughter was murdered and the Norwegians left.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

moviemaker wrote:Went to see Lynch (One) and Eraserhead last night...both were phenomenal and with great sound but Eraserhead had so many scratches including one long, big one running down the center of the print.
Kind of ironic as it's touted as a 'Restoration'
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I've seen it many times on a print that's not been restored and it sounds much better than that. Maybe they should just borrow the age-old Norwegian print. You'll get the subtitles for free. :)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"