I DON'T KNOW JACK DVD (2 editions)

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

I DON'T KNOW JACK DVD (2 editions)

Post by Jonah »

Hi all

I really want to buy "I Don't Know Jack" on DVD. But I've noticed two editions - a one-disc and a two-disc with a CD. Which is the best quality one to buy, can anyone tell me?

Thanks
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

The second disc of the 2-disc edition is a soundtrack CD so it depends whether or not you want the music from the documentary. You can buy both versions for peanuts and you'll probably only watch it the once.
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

I agree you probably won't return to it often.
The other day I called the documentary depressing and a bit voyeuristic. I didn't mean to be disrespectful, but after seeing the film I didn't feel I got to know Mr Nance any better. I just found out about all the trouble in his life and it made me sad. I watched the disc a second time shortly after, but haven't seen it since.
As much as I appreciate the contributions Mr Nance made to Lynch's films, I don't think I Don't Know Jack is an essential purchase.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

That's exactly how I felt. By the end of it I started to feel like I'd been rummaging through someone's bin. The circumstances surrounding Jack Nance's death, and the cans of film that were held to ransom are depressing and left me in quite a dark place at the end.

I love the footage in Pretty As A Picture of DL, Catherine Coulson and Jack Nance visiting the (collapsing) building where Eraserhead was filmed. It's funny and sweet and rich in Lynchian goodness.

There's been a lot of talk on the boards about whether or not Twin Peaks could be wrapped up with another series or film and Jack Nance's death is one of the reasons I always say no absolutely not. The character of Pete didn't add much to the plot but he gave the series warmth and was my security blanket when it started getting darker. The scenes of Pete driving Audrey to the airfield are among my favourites.
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

The title was fairly appropriate.
At the end I really felt "I Don't Know Jack".
barryconvex
Roadhouse Member

Post by barryconvex »

I couldn't disagree more. In my opinion, the documentary was very well done and insightful. But to come to this judgment, you have to realize it is about Jack Nance the living being not Nance the Lynch creature who funnily pronounces "percolator".

And there really seems to be a lot to discover about him, including the reason why he never became more than a supporting actor apart from Eraserhead.

The docu is certainly not sensationalist (the Premiere article "Erased" is definitely more into heartbreaking details).

I was touched by Jack Nance's singing and to learn about his beliefs.
motoko
Roadhouse Member

Post by motoko »

For a completist, both versions are essential, however........I'll probably never listen to that soundtrack again as it's not my cup of tea. So I would only recommend the single disc edition. I personally liked the documentary. Henry, Paul, Nefud, Pete, OO Spool, 1 or 2 others I'm forgetting....What was his name again in LH? Anyway, Jack was one of the greats.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

barryconvex wrote:In my opinion, the documentary was very well done and insightful. But to come to this judgment, you have to realize it is about Jack Nance the living being not Nance the Lynch creature who funnily pronounces "percolator".
My mouth fell open when I read that line. It's the most patronising thing I've ever heard (or in this case read) in my life. Most rational, balanced adults can differentiate between the real world and a television character.

You can't hope to understand Jack Nance the living being from watching a documentary and you shouldn't believe everything you see on your television!

Apologies if this post seems stroppy but I have quite strong views about subjectivity and authenticity (lol) and disregarding people's opinions on the grounds that they've missed the point is just arrogant and/or clumsy.

And finally, both versions of I Don't Know Jack may be essential for Jack Nance completists but whether or not to buy both editions is academic because the one-disc edition is out of print and the two-disc edition costs less than I paid for the one-disc. If you buy the two-disc edition there's no point buying the one-disc unless you really, really want the artwork! I'm an obsessive Lynch fan but I don't want the I Don't Know Jack soundtrack.
barryconvex
Roadhouse Member

Post by barryconvex »

I don't know if I've really gotten your point. In my opinon, you don't have to be a television-addicted to come to the conclusion that Jack Nance's life wasn't all "funny and sweet and rich in Lynchian goodness."

If you know any better source to reveal more about Jack Nance either the actor or human being, please go ahead.
barryconvex
Roadhouse Member

Post by barryconvex »

I've been wondering what made my previous comment sound like an insult. And after re-reading it, I definitely did not want to say that you have to be stupid to not like the approach. I am truly sorry if that impression was caused.

I mean: Nance's Pete Martell is definitely a likable character who greatly contributes to the feel of Twin Peaks, even though his character is not essential for the plot of Twin Peaks. But here, it's not really about Nance's acting capabilities at his peak, and if he's talking slowly there is the sad background of his alcoholism. Nance is not just simply a weird character Lynch pulled of his hat, but a very troubled human being with a wealth more than a single line like "wrapped in plastic" but a million (good) stories inside of him, and it's the achievement of "I don't know Jack" to share this with its viewers, I believe.

In retrospect, my initial point could be misread as arrogant, sorry, point taken.
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

I loved I Don't Know Jack, and personally, I'm surprised that people are saying that it doesn't provide any insight into Jack. Those people already knew that he was a raging alcoholic and that his wife killed herself? The only way that the piece wouldn't provide insight into Jack was if one already knew the intricate details of his life (something that I'm sure only those close to him knew).

I've watched this piece and the Jimmy Scott documentary a couple times each since buying them.
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

I believe I didn't already know about the alcoholism, and I'm sure about being unaware of the marital tragedy. Perhaps I just found out a lot of stuff I'd rather not known about.

Still, wasn't the second half of the docu too much focused on these problems? Or was his life really this bleak and tragic those last 15 years or so?