What does Lynch watch?

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

What does Lynch watch?

Post by Soolsma »

Does Lynch indulge himself in contemporary cinema or serialized tv? And if so, what? I know he likes a lot of oldies, sunset boulevard etc. But I wonder what kind of media he enjoys now.

I know Frost enjoyed Mr Robot, which I can totally agree on.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: What does Lynch watch?

Post by krishnanspace »

Lynch likes Breaking Bad, Mad Men, True Detective. Also read an interview where he mentioned that he loved The Bourne Identity though it’s not contemporary now
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: What does Lynch watch?

Post by Metamorphia »

He doesn't watch movies at all anymore. There's a 2017 interview with The Telegraph where he said "I haven't seen a movie in years - all I watch is TV shows about cars." https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/05/ ... ut%20cars'

I also have a memory of a more specific recent quote where he said he said it had been ten years since he last watched a movie but can't seem to source it.

There's also this amusing exchange from another interview: (https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film ... -1.3542802

Nor does he see much other TV or cinema. When I ask what he likes to watch, Lynch says crime shows and car shows but declines to elaborate. His favourite film of the past year? He goes silent and scrunches his face, thinking, thinking, thinking. The silence stretches. He puffs on the cigarette. Later I check the tape. Not a word for 46 seconds.

“Um,” he finally says. “I saw my son Austin’s movie” – Gray House, a documentary – “last year, and I really liked it. I don’t think I’ve seen any other films.”

He must have seen some. The Shape of Water?

“No.”

Dunkirk?

“No.”

Black Panther?

“No.”

Does he have any curiosity about them?

“Not really. I never was a movie buff. I like to make movies. I like to work. I don’t really like to go out.”

But these days you can watch them at home.

“Uh-huh.”