Daily Weather Report: The Return

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Daily Weather Report: The Return

Post by AXX°N N. »

Lynch has begun uploading Daily Weather Reports again amidst the COVID-19 crisis, to a youtube account created in 2018 that has until now not been utilized. There are 2 available already (he began yesterday).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDLD_z ... Masq9nbjrA
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Re: Daily Weather Report: The Return

Post by Saturn's child »

:D
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

This is great news! Something oddly comforting about the ability to see Lynch in sort-of real-time every day (and have him wish me a wonderful day!).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Any thoughts on the sunglasses? I know, I know, he said on Friday he was looking at a bright future. But for four days straight, in every video? Is he just really committed to the bit? Transforming into an alien (one of the number draws over the weekend also had a distorted voice)? Health/vision issue? New OCD fixation and/or gift from Lula he can’t take off like the yellow watch?
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

No idea, but it's been fascinating to see the subtle evolution of the structure of the reports. I love the little Lynchisms he does now between the current temp and later day forecast.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Any thoughts on the sunglasses? I know, I know, he said on Friday he was looking at a bright future. But for four days straight, in every video? Is he just really committed to the bit? Transforming into an alien (one of the number draws over the weekend also had a distorted voice)? Health/vision issue? New OCD fixation and/or gift from Lula he can’t take off like the yellow watch?
Cataracts?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Lynch’s “Number of the Day” for 11/09 is hilarious. He messes up the usual ritual and has to decide on the spot whether to commit. It’s a very human moment of Lynch having to confront his OCD tendencies.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Heh, nice. October 12's weather report is pretty good. I stopped watching them regularly, it's a bit too much. The determination of that man is amazing.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:Heh, nice. October 12's weather report is pretty good. I stopped watching them regularly, it's a bit too much. The determination of that man is amazing.
I find them comforting to watch daily, although I often forget and have to play catch-up in batches of three or four. Nice to see Lynch every day and know that he’s still going. The ritual of it is sort of like watching Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood as a kid, where he pretty much does and says the exact same thing every day. :lol:
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I find them comforting to watch daily, although I often forget and have to play catch-up in batches of three or four.
Same here. :) Feels like between David and me it's a situation of OCD overlapping.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Heh, nice. October 12's weather report is pretty good. I stopped watching them regularly, it's a bit too much. The determination of that man is amazing.
I find them comforting to watch daily, although I often forget and have to play catch-up in batches of three or four. Nice to see Lynch every day and know that he’s still going. The ritual of it is sort of like watching Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood as a kid, where he pretty much does and says the exact same thing every day. :lol:
There's also this general sense of predictability about him which I don't mean at all negatively (mainly because I guess we know his rituals and taste so well) - for instance today as soon as he said "a song that defines the 50s" I said aloud Donna knowing that'd be the song he plugs. Why this is interesting though is that when he works in creative form he is very unpredictable! (See S3E18!) I mention that because I am growing convinced he is imparting slow mood clues about whatever Unrecorded Night will be in the videos... e.g. the little Heartbreak Hotel story. The fact that lately he's been especially fixated on 50s tracks too - although obviously as a product of 50s America it wouldn't be surprising if unconnected. I just get a sense he's slowly building an atmosphere based on whatever he's currently "into" creatively.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Metamorphia wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
There's also this general sense of predictability about him which I don't mean at all negatively (mainly because I guess we know his rituals and taste so well) - for instance today as soon as he said "a song that defines the 50s" I said aloud Donna knowing that'd be the song he plugs. Why this is interesting though is that when he works in creative form he is very unpredictable! (See S3E18!) I mention that because I am growing convinced he is imparting slow mood clues about whatever Unrecorded Night will be in the videos... e.g. the little Heartbreak Hotel story. The fact that lately he's been especially fixated on 50s tracks too - although obviously as a product of 50s America it wouldn't be surprising if unconnected. I just get a sense he's slowly building an atmosphere based on whatever he's currently "into" creatively.
I think he's even spoken on that topic before--something about needing highly ritualized and predictable behavior in your personal life so that your creative mind has a solid platform to fly free from.

I'm not sure he's intentionally leaving bread crumbs (though he does seem rather coy at times and very aware of his internet audience), but it's only natural that anything he's dedicating to be it a script or just thinking things through, some of that has to bleed into his youtube updates.

The other day when the song he recommended was Stardust by Nat King Cole, I listened to it and it had a knockout punch effect on me. And I thought, man, I not only hope this is in whatever Lynch does next, I almost feel convinced somehow that it will be.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Surprised he didn’t mention the conjunction today, although he mentioned the solstice. I lived in LA for a time, and his reference to the jasmine scent made me super nostalgic to return. One of my absolute favorite smells in the world.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Heh, when he mentioned Ray Charles today, I thought he was going to name “Georgia on My Mind,” which has been stuck in my head for the past week due to the runoff election! :lol:
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Heh, when he mentioned Ray Charles today, I thought he was going to name “Georgia on My Mind,” which has been stuck in my head for the past week due to the runoff election! :lol:
...and then today, the day of the vote, he did go with “Georgia on My Mind”! Nicely played, DKL.