David Lynch has a new script completed

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

moviemaker
RR Diner Member

David Lynch has a new script completed

Post by moviemaker »

David Lynch does have a new script completed. I was on the set of a completely unrelated pilot shooting in Los Angeles and struck up a conversation with a studio exec who is six degrees separated from DL. Said script is done search for financing has commenced. That's all for now...
Annie
Global Moderator

Re: David Lynch has a new script completed

Post by Annie »

Great!! Keep us updated....
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Exciting news.
DLW
Roadhouse Member

Post by DLW »

I am ecstatic about this! I would love either a feature film or maybe a new TV Series on HBO or Showtime?! Please do keep us updated!
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

A tv show on one of those two channels would be my dream come true.
DLW
Roadhouse Member

Post by DLW »

You and me both!
Mastershake
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mastershake »

Soooooo, anything new in that area?
Lynchland

Post by Lynchland »

David Lynch has presented SEVERAL screenplays to his producers since "Inland Empire", but none of them had convinced them so far (they were asking for a more "mainstream" script, "à la" Mulholland Drive.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

So David is looking for a bigger budget than Inland Empire's for his next project?
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

So is there anything new on this end? Trying to keep up with what Lynch is up to is about as easy as hanging on to a bucking bull. He's declared for years that he feels film is dead, then there is a recent interview where he says he's falling back in love with celluloid. He's done interviews where he expressed pessimism about ever making a film again, but expressed interest in returning to television. Honestly I find the prospect of a new Lynch television series more deliriously exciting than a new Lynch film, but I wouldn't complain about either, obviously. I have enjoyed his music but it doesn't resonate with me the way his film and television work has... but of course he will do what makes him happy, so more power to him in that regards...
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I love that Italian interview. This is really exciting news! One can only hope. :roll:
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

I'm more up by far for a movie than a TV series, although what with first Netflix, now Amazon turning out 'original programming', the Tube may be a more feasible medium.
The thing about TV: you cannot just write, direct and produce a Pilot( or even a story arc) and then turn it over to others, not if you( and your fans) want it to be yours.
TP is a good example of the pitfalls otherwise.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I agree on a practical level... if Lynch returned to television he would have to be a committed show runner in a way he wasn't with TP (I still wonder what may have been had Mulholland Drive been a successful pilot). TV is almost by necessity an even more collaborative medium than film, as writing and directing a significant number of episodes is generally too much work for one person (There have been recent exceptions: True Detective and The Knick, though even those didn't have the same person writing AND directing). I would love, from an idealistic perspective, to see Lynch return to television, as I share his love for continuing stories and would love the opportunity to simmer and sink in an ongoing David Lynch created universe.