DL produced film on amazon.com

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sloclub
RR Diner Member

DL produced film on amazon.com

Post by sloclub »

And now for something completely different.

We have been talking about DL projects that are coming out this year and how much $$$ we are spending to keep up. Here's one more. I just ordered a film David Lynch co-exec produced titled NADJA from amazon.com. I can't spell the director's last name (The director works on DEADWOOD now) but the film is a remake of DRACULA'S DAUGHTER. DL appears in a scene with the vampire- he's pretty good too. For a long time this film wasn't available but was recently rereleased on DVD so it's about $10 now.

NADJA is very interesting in that the writer/director filmed part of it on this toy camera (the name of the camera escapes me now) but anyway shades of INLAND EMPIRE! The film features Peter Fonda as the best Van Helsing ever! He also appears as Dracula. The film features lots of other actors whom you may recognize such as Jared Harris or Suzy Amis plus the character Lucy is played by an actress/novelist named Galaxy Craze. You gotta love that name. Basically Dracula has been destroyed and his daughter, Nadja, goes to retrieve his body. She goes to find her brother who is trying to starve himself of blood and is under the care of a woman who is in love with him. Van Helsing gets his nephew who is really his son to help him track Nadja down. They all end up going back to Transylvannia where Nadja and her renfield are destroyed. Or so we are led to believe. Nadja's brother is freed from vampirism (or not) and marries the nurse who had been taking care of him. Nadja's ghost enters the nurse so she marries her brother while taking over the body of another woman! What fun!

The themes of dysfunctional families, incest, sexual ambiguity, identity loss and crossed identity boundaries are familiar to all lynchies. Also Freddie Frances who was DL's cinematographer directed lots of great horror films for Hammer Studios in the UK so vampires were there in the b.g. too.

Mary Sweeny also produced the film and in the thanks credits at the end I think several of DL's colaborators are also thanked, pretty sure that includes Angelo B. but can't remember the others. Sorry I'm at work and don't have access to the credits. Anyway check it out, hey baby, you'd dig it the most.
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

I've never seen Nadja, though I had it on tape for the longest time.

I'm fascinated by the Fisher Price PXL-something Pixelvision camera, but they cost a lot to buy these days. There's a guy who sells customized ones, all digital-ready, on eBay, too.
LauraPalmer
Roadhouse Member

Post by LauraPalmer »

nadja's a pretty good film. he also makes a brief appearance in it also.