David Lynch & Donovan in Los Angeles

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dustinsleeping

David Lynch & Donovan in Los Angeles

Post by dustinsleeping »

Kinda cool it was.

Laura Dern showed up and was the one to ask DL the questions that the audience submitted. DL spoke for about 45 minutes (give or take). there were a couple of questions about meditation...One about filming on DV (He will never shot on film again)...One about doing commentary on his DVD's (he will never do a commentary...because it ruins the movie)...ummm...He hates Dune and some other stuff I cant remember at the moment. It was very cool.

We watched Donovan for about 30 minutes and then left after we couldn't take it anymore.

All in all it was really swell - better than we thought it would be.

D
lynched+skinned

Post by lynched+skinned »

Why does he continue to hate Dune? He hasn't gotten an idea of how he could salvage the film using existing deleted footage?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

My understanding is that he hates Dune because the film was compromised from the begining. It was a very bad experience for him. John Neff mentioned mentioned something about this on the Twin Peaks Gazette.
lynched+skinned

Post by lynched+skinned »

False hope on my part ' from David's public crusade "˜encouraging people' to practice meditation ' somehow I was under the impression that he had resolved the "˜hurt feelings' for the whole Dune experience.
garmonBOZia

Post by garmonBOZia »

David made a few comments about Dune in his new book "Catching the Big Fish." In the Final Cut chapter, he says that it was a huge sadness because he didn't have final cut and felt like he sold out and on top of that, the film was a failure at the box office. This is the quote that impressed me:

"If you do what you believe in and have a failure, that's one thing; you can still live with yourself. But if you don't, it's like dying twice - it's very, very painful."

He actually goes on to talk about how meditation helped him live through that and made it less painful.

I've really enjoyed that new book. I bought it on CD (I wanted to hear it read by Lynch). I listened to it on the road trip to Chicago to see IE. It made for a great drive!