The Air is on Fire - DL exhibition

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

It's around 456 pages, my book showed up in french as well, dissapointing but i've decided to keep it anyways since it's an amazing book and i think i'll always prefer to listen to the cd's instead of writing the text anyways.
Blood.Sleep.

Post by Blood.Sleep. »

Renton13 wrote:
Blood.Sleep. wrote:I just got my copy from amazon.fr and it's all in french. I don't really mind though because it's mostly pictures and the book came with the actual interview in english on a cd.

Really good buy.
Thanks for the info!

Number of pages?
There are no page numbers but there are alot, roughly 400. It includes, photography, painting, his distorted nudes photos, the snowmen photos, some early paintings, doodles on post-its, and screenshots from all of his films (including inland empire for those who haven't seen it.)

Really good book but I was surprised to see that some of his well known paintings weren't included, mainly "rat meat bird."

I'm very happy with it though.
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

Blood.Sleep. wrote:There are no page numbers but there are alot, roughly 400...
Can anyone tell me if the book "David Lynch: The Air Is on Fire" currently available via Amazon, DVD.co.uk, Sprint Books, Waterstones, etc. is the same as the French version that some of you have already purchased?

I ask because all these sites show it having 250 pages - almost half of what's been reported here. There's also no mention of the CDs... and yet the title, cover art, and codes are the same.

Here's one of the links for reference: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... telinth-21

Thanks in advance!

Incidentally, I've just noticed that the French version is also advertised as having 250 pages! Hmmm...
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

there ARE pagenumbers, otherwise the cd's wouldn't make any sense, since the interviewer and Lynch go through the book page by page. For that same reason i would think that all editions of the book will have to be pretty much identical (if not they will not be able to include the cd's.)
fish

Post by fish »

As of this morning they moved the release date on Amazon US to April 30th. That's annoying as i was hoping it'd be shipped today.
Blood.Sleep.

Post by Blood.Sleep. »

Red Room wrote:
Blood.Sleep. wrote:There are no page numbers but there are alot, roughly 400...
Can anyone tell me if the book "David Lynch: The Air Is on Fire" currently available via Amazon, DVD.co.uk, Sprint Books, Waterstones, etc. is the same as the French version that some of you have already purchased?

I ask because all these sites show it having 250 pages - almost half of what's been reported here. There's also no mention of the CDs... and yet the title, cover art, and codes are the same.

Here's one of the links for reference: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... telinth-21

Thanks in advance!

Incidentally, I've just noticed that the French version is also advertised as having 250 pages! Hmmm...
The listing of 250 pages on both amazon.com and amazon.fr has got to be a misprint. I can't imagine that they would have two books with the exact same covers with half as many pages. Plus, I bought mine from amazon.fr and it said 250 pages on the page but my book is over 400 pages. As far as the cd thing goes, I got mine from amazon.fr and the web site listed a cd with the book and it definitely was included. I don't see a cd listing on amazon.com but again, I can't imagine them not including it. Let me know if they don't and i'll be happy to burn you a copy. It's kind of interesting but not tooo interesting.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

i really loved the cd's ! for some reason Lynch doesn't seem to mind talking about the meaning behind his paintings, i enjoyed the book much more after listening.
benjamin

Post by benjamin »

fish wrote:As of this morning they moved the release date on Amazon US to April 30th. That's annoying as i was hoping it'd be shipped today.
They also bumped the price up 5-10 dollars, luckly this didn't affect the original pre-order price they gave me.
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

The blue-ish Diptych painting with the canvas 'curtains' on the side was in the studio for many years. I really wanted those paintings. It's got burnt doll parts on it, and part of the painting has been scorched, very apocalyptic to me. Maybe some day...
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

Blood.Sleep. wrote:I don't see a cd listing on amazon.com but again, I can't imagine them not including it. Let me know if they don't and i'll be happy to burn you a copy. It's kind of interesting but not tooo interesting.
That's kind of you, many thanks... I'll order the book today, and report back here when it arrives.
kelvah
Roadhouse Member

Post by kelvah »

it seems there are some news from fondation cartier.
"snowmen" has been published, it contains the famous pictures taken in Idaho.
20 pages, 14 x 18 cm - 15€
snowmen at amazon.fr

the next week fondation cartier will release the cd of the soudtrack that david composed for the exibition. further details will follow.
Red Room
RR Diner Member

English Text Version

Post by Red Room »

eyeboogers wrote:...my book showed up in french as well, dissapointing but i've decided to keep it anyways...
Well my copy, ordered from Amazon.co.uk arrived this week, and it's in English, as advertised. :-) It also contained the CDs, as per the French edition, and is 400+ pages, (as has been mentioned here before).

This book is a thing of beauty - a piece of art in itself, and I look forward to immersing myself in the contents more fully over the weekend...

So, if you don't speak French, Amazon.co.uk seems the way to go, especially if you live in the UK!
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

Today I found the time to read / view the whole book, accompanied by David's informative & entertaining commentary on the 2 x CDs...

This is the way to experience this work - it's as though one were being given a private viewing by David himself... Terrific stuff! 8) I could listen to him talk for hours ' the man's passion for his work is infectious. Actually, I felt the same way after listening to the 'Catching The Big Fish' audio book.
ideasarelikefish

Post by ideasarelikefish »

Hi Red Room. Thanks for the info, I will go ahead and order from Amazon UK now knowing it includes the CDs. Amazons specs have always been a bit rubbish, I have no idea why because their cust service is generally top notch.

Plus its a hell of a lot cheaper than Amazon Fr
dunkrag
Roadhouse Member

Post by dunkrag »

Could anyone let me know what merchandise is available at the exhibition? Apart from the book - are the 8x8 box editions of Dumbland and The Short Films available?

Anything else from his website on sale? I'm about to plan a trip to the exhibition and it would be nice to know if I can save some shipping costs from the website when I go there.