davidlynch.com is now David Lynch Music Company

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

qbin2001
Great Northern Member

davidlynch.com is now David Lynch Music Company

Post by qbin2001 »

http://www.davidlynch.com/ is now David Lynch Music Company. No full site yet, but new single is announced "Good Day Today/I Know" (both Lynch compositions). Both are avaliable on iTunes. Two more links are on the site - pre-order of album, and video contest (both sites don't have any info about it yet).

Does David will be only musician now?
iar
RR Diner Member

Re: davidlynch.com is now David Lynch Music Company

Post by iar »

Well that's interesting...

I guess the website/digital content just didn't work out. It's a shame because it had great potential, but I guess from David's perspective it is an awful lot of work to maintain and update a site like that. It seems to me that David's music, meditation, producing and art are pushing his filmmaking into the backseat for a while. It doesn't bother me too much because I enjoy his music and because I think that these are the areas in which he finds inspiration for films. It can therefore only be a good thing that he's developing these aspects.

We'll just have to hope that his imagination steers him towards film at some point sooner rather than later... :wink:
Face In The Leaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by Face In The Leaves »

Doesn't the announcement at davidlynch.com imply there's going to be a second site called David Lynch Music Company?

I downloaded the single. I noticed on iTunes that Good Day Today is much more popular than I Know, which is odd considering it costs 99p per track or £1.29 for both! How badly must people want to save themselves 30p?
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Page changed from yesterday (two links i mantioned in my firs post are missing).

Both songs are officially on youtube now.

Good Day Today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPmTRKB5Bdg

I Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soClkzqJSZs
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Deluxe Vinyl edition with signed print plus remixes, blah blah blah...

http://www.vfeditions.com/product/view/25
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
kelvah
Roadhouse Member

Post by kelvah »

There is an official competition for the two videos!

http://genero.tv/watch-video/11938/
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Deluxe Vinyl edition with signed print plus remixes, blah blah blah...
Anyone knows what remixes are on vinyl/CD?
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

from Pitchfork today:

http://pitchfork.com/news/40872-david-l ... -projects/

David Lynch Talks New Music Projects

The legendary filmmaker plans to release a bounty of songs soon

David Lynch is best known for making films that bring our darkest thoughts to life in ways creepier than we could ever imagine. But the 64-year-old art-house staple isn't just a director-- he's a painter, a meditation advocate, an amateur meteorologist, and a musician, too. Along with writing lyrics for longtime composing partner Angelo Badalamenti, Lynch helped with some of the otherworldly atmospherics for several of his films and even wrote (and sang) on two songs for his last feature, 2006's Inland Empire. Last year, Lynch collaborated with Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse's Mark Linkous on the Dark Night of the Soul project.

Nowadays, the musical muse is hitting Lynch particularly hard. He just released a double A-side single featuring an uncharacteristic electronic track called "Good Day Today" along with a (more characteristic) twisted blues track, "I Know". (He's also judging a video contest for the new songs, which you can enter here.) The single is out on UK label Sunday Best, which is also planning to release a remix EP early next year.

It turns out the single is only the beginning of an outpouring of audio offerings from Lynch, who spoke with us about his upcoming projects, some of his current favorite bands, and why we won't ever get to see him sing live:

Pitchfork: You've dabbled in it in the past, but are you concentrating more on making music now?

David Lynch: Yeah. I have a recording studio so I've been experimenting for a long time in there. Big Dean Hurley is the engineer, and he and I have been making music for about five years, but we never seem to finish anything. But I'm building a new part of my web site that'll be primarily music, so I'm working on music quite a bit these days.

Pitchfork: What do you plan on releasing on the new site?

DL: We're working toward a modern blues thing that could be an album. Then I've been working with Angelo Badalamenti on an album called Thought Gang that could come out there. I've been working with this girl Chrysta Bell, and she's got an album coming out in the new year. Some of the music will end up in films, too. So there's going to be some albums and then a lot of stand-alone songs. There'll be some freebies but I think you've got to buy something [laughs]. Poor musicians-- it's a nightmare.

Pitchfork: How did you originally start making music?

DL: Angelo Badalamenti brought me into the world of music and that's really what gave me permission to get into it even though I'm not a musician. It's just an intuitive thing for me. And I just love musicians. They're not all super-happy all the time, but when they're playing they're happy, and it's such a beautiful thing. I also like them because they sleep late in the morning; they're more like children.

Pitchfork: The electronic song "Good Day Today" is a pretty big departure from the stuff that you've done before. How did that come about?

DL: Well, I got a music agent and-- I don't know what happened exactly-- but the word "dance" or "electronic music" came in so then that tune came. It's like going from painting to lithography-- each thing has a way of wanting to be and, if you can get into that particular space, out it comes. It's crazy to close doors to any genres.

Pitchfork: The other new song, "I Know", reminded me of Sparklehorse, who you worked with on the Dark Night of the Soul project.

DL: I love, love, love Sparklehorse. He came out to L.A. to visit a couple times, and we'd just sit and talk about music and equipment. I never recorded anything with him, but I did this 16-country tour on meditation and creativity, and I think maybe his last thing is at the end of the documentary about the tour [Catching the Big Fish: Part II].

Pitchfork: You've been a big proponent of digital filmmaking. How you feel about the divide between analog and digital in music.

DL: A lot of musicians like to do the bass and the drums with analog and get that tape distortion that's really beautiful. We've done the same thing. As far as the digital world goes-- it's all going to end up there anyway, but when you hear vinyl it does a different thing to you. Nowadays, people do CDs and then vinyl so it's everything goes; it's a such a beautiful world.

Pitchfork: What are some vinyl records that you've worn out?

DL: We've got a record player but I'm not really into vinyl now. I used to buy records like the Everly Brothers and Elvis and wear those out. There's something about that raw, birth of rock and roll feel that makes me crazy.

Pitchfork: Someone like Elvis is obviously an incredible singer-- were you nervous about actually starting to sing yourself?

DL: Yeah, I was totally nervous [laughs].

Pitchfork: How did you get over that?

DL: In the studio it's just me and Dean so it's not so bad. Still, I always put it off as long as I can. But you can really manipulate it. I don't think anybody really loves the sound of their own voice, but the tweakability is huge.

Pitchfork: Do you think about film and music at the same time?

DL: Yeah, I'm thinking about film. I don't have a film ready to go, but I'm catching ideas for the next thing. That's why it's important to listen to lots of different genres because you never know when something will get born out of it.

Pitchfork: What made you decide to release the new single with Sunday Best Recordings?

DL: We finished "Good Day Today" and my music agent played it for [music director and host] Jason Bentley at KCRW. Then Jason played it on the radio, and also took it to Ibiza and played it for some people there. Then Ben Turner from Sunday Best Recordings wanted it and got it.

I didn't know [Sunday Best] before but I had coffee with them in Paris the first time I met them in person. It's a grand experiment, but they're totally behind it and doing a great job. They know what they're doing and I don't [laughs].

Pitchfork: How familiar are you with the club culture that Sunday Best represents?

DL: I'm not familiar with it at all. But I know club music has to be infectious and it's got to make you move.

Pitchfork: Are there any current bands that you're into?

DL: Yeah, I'm into Au Revoir Simone and Lissie. I got turned on to Lissie watching her live cover of Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" on YouTube-- it's incredible.

Pitchfork: Are you considering playing your songs live at all?

DL: No, no, no.

Pitchfork: Why not? It could be fun.

DL: It would be fun for you, baby [laughs].
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Face In The Leaves
Roadhouse Member

qbin2001 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Deluxe Vinyl edition with signed print plus remixes, blah blah blah...
Anyone knows what remixes are on vinyl/CD?
If there's none listed they probably haven't been completed/confirmed yet.
birchy
Roadhouse Member

Post by birchy »

I wonder if the site will go live on 12-10-2010 as davidlynch.com opened on 12-10-2001. And Mr. Lynch likes to have his dates, prices, and whatnot all add up to 7. Thanks to a 1 and a 0 doing a swap, we again have that particular day adding up to 7!

For what it's worth, I've always found it mildly interesting that Mulholland Dr. opened (in the States at least) on 10-12-2001, a date that adds up to 7. I would have liked to have seen Lynch appealing to the powers-that-be at the studio on why his film had to be released on that day! Unless it was all just a coincidence and we all know that there is no such thing as a bad coincidence.
fish

Post by fish »

qbin2001 wrote:Anyone knows what remixes are on vinyl/CD?
3 remixes of each song. They are by Underworld, Boys Noize, Basement Jaxx, Skream, Sasha, and Jon Hopkins
Face In The Leaves
Roadhouse Member

Underworld, Basement Jaxx and Sasha is astonishing. I didn't see that coming.
mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Post by mixomatosis »

I'm going to say something that might sound a tad controversial.

I think Good Day Today is dreadful. I made better tracks in Dance eJay when I was thirteen. And they were awful. It goes nowhere, says nothing, and is derivative of the worst recesses of dance music. Sounds like a Eric Prydz demo knocked out in an hour. And the sound effects... good lord, the sound effects. "So tired of... [gunshots]". So much for beauty in the obscure. Very very disappointing stuff. Maybe the remixes will save it, but given Basement Jaxx haven't done anything good in seven years, Underworld even longer, and Sasha never, I'm not hopeful.

I Know on the other hand is great. He's got a great voice for the blues, and far more interesting ideas musically for them. But I can't believe how everyone's raving about the A-side. It's one of the worst things I've heard all year. If it weren't for Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, On The Air, Mulholland Drive, INLAND EMPIRE, The Air Is On Fire, The Angriest Dog In The World and Rabbits I'd be really quite cross.
Face In The Leaves
Roadhouse Member

Baja by Sasha was quite fantastic back in the day.
brokentiny
Roadhouse Member

Post by brokentiny »

mixomatosis wrote:I'm going to say something that might sound a tad controversial.

I think Good Day Today is dreadful. I made better tracks in Dance eJay when I was thirteen. And they were awful. It goes nowhere, says nothing, and is derivative of the worst recesses of dance music. Sounds like a Eric Prydz demo knocked out in an hour. And the sound effects... good lord, the sound effects. "So tired of... [gunshots]". So much for beauty in the obscure. Very very disappointing stuff. Maybe the remixes will save it, but given Basement Jaxx haven't done anything good in seven years, Underworld even longer, and Sasha never, I'm not hopeful.

I Know on the other hand is great. He's got a great voice for the blues, and far more interesting ideas musically for them. But I can't believe how everyone's raving about the A-side. It's one of the worst things I've heard all year. If it weren't for Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, On The Air, Mulholland Drive, INLAND EMPIRE, The Air Is On Fire, The Angriest Dog In The World and Rabbits I'd be really quite cross.
You know what, I may not have quite as much venom as you, but I agree, track one/A side is pretty dodgy. Being a huge fan of Lynch means I also try to be fairly objective and critical. I don't like everything. I truly applaud Lynch for trying lots of different things, but not all of it's going to be good and IMO this song is not. B Side/ 'I Know' is pretty good, on par with the stuff he did for Inland Empire.
There is something important to be said