Movies David Should Have Directed

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Movies David Should Have Directed

Post by Buck's Student »

What movies do you think David should have directed?

I don't blame him for not taking on the original Red Dragon adaptation, Manhunter. I believe he should have done Silence of The Lambs, though. I really like Demme, but I've always felt the movie was so subpar compared to the novel.

Also, I would have loved for David to have done the Ed Wood biopic instead of Tim Burton. Again, I like Burton's early work, but something inside of me wants to see a Lynch take on the story.
Annie
Global Moderator

Re: Movies David Should Have Directed

Post by Annie »

Wow, I didn't know David had a chance at Manhunter!! Join the Thomas Harris fan club!! I'm sure David would have done a wonderful job, but I really like Michael Mann's version, waaaaaaaaay better than the latest try of Red Dragon.

Re Silence, well, ALL the movies were subpar to the books, especially Hannibal...

I can totally see David directing Ed Wood; wonder if he and Johnny Depp would have got along, given the chance?
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

Annie wrote:Wow, I didn't know David had a chance at Manhunter!! Join the Thomas Harris fan club!! I'm sure David would have done a wonderful job, but I really like Michael Mann's version, waaaaaaaaay better than the latest try of Red Dragon.

Re Silence, well, ALL the movies were subpar to the books, especially Hannibal...

I can totally see David directing Ed Wood; wonder if he and Johnny Depp would have got along, given the chance?
I actually see Kyle as Ed Wood. Depp was so cheesy, and Kyle's larger persona could have made the cheese spread out a bit more.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Ed Wood was supposed to be cheesy...I can't see Kyle as a transvestite...
neverwakingworld
Roadhouse Member

Post by neverwakingworld »

He was offered to direct Return of the Jedi. he should have directed that instead of Dune. It would be interesting to see what he would have done and how it would have effected him. He would have had to suffer through great interference by George Lucas. I think that interference and the experience of making a big budget film would have frustrated him in a way similar to Dune. the difference however is that I believe it would have been a better experience, the end product would have been greater. He chose not to do it because he knew he would have to have his artistic vision controlled by Lucas but he would have a face with goals and dreams with artistic merit to argue with rather than argue with business men like he had to on Dune. Dune obviously isn't something that he was happy about and I think that he may have been happier had he chosen to do Return of the Jedi. It also would be interesting not just because of the ramifications upon Lynchs life but the effect upon culture.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I believe we were speaking hypothetically here...like movies we'd like to have seen David do--or not do.
Not ones he was actually offered. ;)
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

Annie wrote:I believe we were speaking hypothetically here...like movies we'd like to have seen David do--or not do.
Not ones he was actually offered. ;)
Either way works. 8)
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Oh, of course. Actually, I have no idea what else David was really offered. I think he made up his mind to never take anybody else's work after Dune!
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

A version of Wizard of Oz would be cool. I liked Return to Oz a lot because of the darker aspects of it, and if David could add to that by remaking the original (closer to the novel would be nice), or another in the series, it would be fantastic.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

My mother made an interesting comment to me this evening: "Why haven't Christopher Walken and David Lynch worked together?" 8)
neverwakingworld
Roadhouse Member

I think that David has somewhat similar taste to the Coen brothers and could have done some of their movies well. Fargo and Barton Fink in Particular.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

neverwakingworld wrote:I think that David has somewhat similar taste to the Coen brothers and could have done some of their movies well. Fargo and Barton Fink in Particular.
What do you exactly mean with similar taste ?
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

neverwakingworld wrote:I think that David has somewhat similar taste to the Coen brothers and could have done some of their movies well. Fargo and Barton Fink in Particular.
The Man Who Wasn't There. :wink:
neverwakingworld
Roadhouse Member

By similar taste I mean that they both deal with similar themes and situations. The clearest example is Fargo which seems like it could have been a side plot in Twin Peaks.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

Plus, the funny dialogue...

Could you imagine David doing Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? :lol: