Lynch in Russia and Ukraine

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

areeng

Lynch in Russia and Ukraine

Post by areeng »

I think you've heard about visit DL to Russia and Ukraine. Me and my friends were succeed to visit most of events and now working on publishing them on our site. Unfortunately it is Russian-language yet, but we plan to make English version. And for the beginning I wrote a little review for those who don't read Russian :) http://community.livejournal.com/davidlynch/331381.html
But we have much more materials, audio and video in particular. If it's interesting, I can give links on some of them, which are already published :)

And to say about my subjective impressions, I liked DL's calmness, impassivity and goodwill. He had to answer the same questions (sometimes stupid :wink:) more and more, and he did it patiently. I've been on his meeting with students of Russian State Cinema University, and as for me, it was the most interesting event, because of interesting questions and general feeling. And special thanks for the translator, who translated very funny (inadequately) :lol: She didn't know any Lynch's film! For examle, she translated INLAND EMPIRE like Inner Imperia, and Eraserhead like Razed Head or something like that :lol:

So, I can tell more if you like, but as far as it is my first post, I feel a little shy to write too much :)
Annie
Global Moderator

Re: Lynch in Russia and Ukraine

Post by Annie »

Welcome areeng! Glad you made it, and just in time to see the beautiful new version of the board. I think your discussion of the visit to Russia is fascinating, so feel free to write more when you feel like it. You had some nice pictures in LJ and can add them to your posts in here as attachments. (And feel free to officially introduce yourself under Hap's Diner.)

PM either me or dugpa if you have any questions!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
areeng

Post by areeng »

Yeah, the new version is really great! :)
If you want it to be discussion, you ask questions! :wink:

Some pictures:

From the exhibition "Fetish":

From the exhibition "Air is on Fire":

Lynch said it's his favorite picture, it's called "Oh, mom, my dog's bitten me" :lol:

Dean Hurley, who was a sound superviser on INLAND EMPIRE. He told us a lot of interesting things about work with David, his current projects and deleted scenes from "Fire walk with me".

And short promo video about Lynch's visit to Ukraine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prm9XwqS ... re=channel

TO BE CONTINUED :)
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

areeng wrote: Dean Hurley, who was a sound superviser on INLAND EMPIRE. He told us a lot of interesting things about work with David, his current projects and deleted scenes from "Fire walk with me".
Very interesting. What did he say about the Deleted Scenes?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

What's this about the deleted scenes from FWWM? Are they being worked on right now?

And, would somebody ask Lynch about releasing the entire soundtrack to Twin Peaks? All the profits could go to the DLF. You would think he would be all over that.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
areeng

Post by areeng »

dugpa wrote: Very interesting. What did he say about the Deleted Scenes?
In fact, nothing sensational. He said it will be released, but no firm date. And it is not clear, if it will be on Blu-ray.
Jerry Horne wrote:And, would somebody ask Lynch about releasing the entire soundtrack to Twin Peaks? All the profits could go to the DLF. You would think he would be all over that.
You know, the subject of his visit was his book and his exhibitions, so most of questions were about it. And most of people who asked questions were not DLF :) He was asked, if he's working on any film now, and he said: "No, I plan to dedicate this year to painting".

But to Twin Peaks Fans I can say that we asked one of the favorite fan's questions, about Josie's death. I don't want to be wrong, so I won't tell now what DL answered. In a short time I will make transcript and then tell exact answer. But of course, he didn't explain much :)
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

areeng wrote: In fact, nothing sensational. He said it will be released, but no firm date. And it is not clear, if it will be on Blu-ray.
Thanks for the info areeng. I wonder if he was referring to the eventual release or if there were specific plans by either Lynch himself or another company to finally release these. In any case, great story and welcome to the board.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Everyone check out this Lynch appearance on a Russian show. The Twin Peaks opening gave me goosebumps!!!! Keep watching after the news break, the show lasts about 47 minutes.

http://shuster.kanalukraina.tv/video/19 ... yi_vypusk/
Attachments
FinderScreenSnapz003.jpg
FinderScreenSnapz003.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 18861 times
FinderScreenSnapz002.jpg
FinderScreenSnapz002.jpg (29.06 KiB) Viewed 18862 times
FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg
FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg (24.16 KiB) Viewed 18861 times
areeng

Post by areeng »

dugpa wrote:I wonder if he was referring to the eventual release or if there were specific plans by either Lynch himself or another company to finally release these. In any case, great story and welcome to the board.
I think you understand, he can't tell any secrets. And it was not an interview, our guys just saw him on the exhibition and came up to talk.
Jerry Horne wrote:Everyone check out this Lynch appearance on a Russian show. The Twin Peaks opening gave me goosebumps!!!! Keep watching after the news break, the show lasts about 47 minutes.
Oh, it is not Russian show, it is Ukrainian :lol: And to say honestly, it was quite boring. I could bear only 20 min, I'll watch the rest some day, of course :) The topic was... hmmm... I feel lack of English to translate... The conflict of worldviews or something like that. Something about sex and violence on TV. And Lynch was not the main person and they don't discuss his films or himself a lot. In general, I thought out that a large part of people, who were on different meetings with Lynch (especially journalists) didn't realize clearly who is this person :roll: To say about this show, I liked one moment. The presenter (or showman?) asked Lynch: "Could you please explain, what does the end of TP means?" (Quite stupid question, as for me). And Lynch said: "Sorry, but NO. I can't". :lol: That is the way how you should answer stupid questions :P
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

areeng wrote:
dugpa wrote:I wonder if he was referring to the eventual release or if there were specific plans by either Lynch himself or another company to finally release these. In any case, great story and welcome to the board.
I think you understand, he can't tell any secrets. And it was not an interview, our guys just saw him on the exhibition and came up to talk.
Jerry Horne wrote:Everyone check out this Lynch appearance on a Russian show. The Twin Peaks opening gave me goosebumps!!!! Keep watching after the news break, the show lasts about 47 minutes.
Oh, it is not Russian show, it is Ukrainian :lol: And to say honestly, it was quite boring. I could bear only 20 min, I'll watch the rest some day, of course :) The topic was... hmmm... I feel lack of English to translate... The conflict of worldviews or something like that. Something about sex and violence on TV. And Lynch was not the main person and they don't discuss his films or himself a lot. In general, I thought out that a large part of people, who were on different meetings with Lynch (especially journalists) didn't realize clearly who is this person :roll: To say about this show, I liked one moment. The presenter (or showman?) asked Lynch: "Could you please explain, what does the end of TP means?" (Quite stupid question, as for me). And Lynch said: "Sorry, but NO. I can't". :lol: That is the way how you should answer stupid questions :P
Oops sorry - Ukrainian! Odd listening experience when you can't hear the questions. Nice set though, I kept expecting a game show to break out. Also, I wonder what Lynch thought about nothing but Twin Peaks flashing on the screen! "I have other work people!"
areeng

Post by areeng »

Jerry Horne wrote: Oops sorry - Ukrainian! Odd listening experience when you can't hear the questions. Nice set though, I kept expecting a game show to break out. Also, I wonder what Lynch thought about nothing but Twin Peaks flashing on the screen! "I have other work people!"
It's OK, I understand, it's difficult to differ Russian from Ukrainian :) Moreother, they speak Russian and Ukrainian at the same time :D I plan to make subtitles, but at first, Russian subtitles for Russian people who don't understand Ukrainian. And then maybe English. Unfortunately we have few people to work on site :( So I can't promise it will be soon...
That is not game show, it is talk show, usually on social and political topics.
doublemain
Roadhouse Member

Post by doublemain »

thanks for the heads up areeng. apart from the info regarding the deleted scenes, I'm also interested in what Dean Hurley has to say, as I'm a student in sound. thanks for keeping us updated.
areeng

Post by areeng »

doublemain wrote: I'm also interested in what Dean Hurley has to say, as I'm a student in sound.
Sorry, I can't say, I don't know. It was not me who talked to Dean. Our guys, of our site team, were on press-conference before the exhibition opening, they'd seen Dean Hurley and came up to talk. It was not an interview, just talk. I'm also interested, but these guys say just "Nothing new, it was just talk, nothing special".

But I have good thing to say :) We've prepared video and audio of Lynch meeting students of Cinema University.
Video (255 Mb): http://david-lynch.info/images/stories/videos/VGIK.wmv
Audio (77 Mb): http://david-lynch.info/tanya/VGIK.mp3

I think it is not problem to understand, because translator speaks loudly. Note the crowd near the doors and in the room, and also note the reaction of people on translation :) It was really funny, the translator didn't know any Lynch's film (except maybe TP), and the audience prompted all together :)
RStandfest
Roadhouse Member

Post by RStandfest »

Hello,

I was wondering, aside from the catalog published by the Cartier Foundation for "The Air is On Fire," was there another, different catalog for this exhibition in Moscow? I am very keen to find a catalog for Lynch's new lithographs. Was there a unique poster for this new exhibition? As someone living in the United States, I am endlessly frustrated by the fact that one of our own artists cannot seem to find a venue to show in his own country. Why on earth "The Air is On Fire" is not being seen in America is beyond me. In the past two years, Lynch has had exhibitions in France, Italy, Germany, Spain and Russia, but not a single showing of his work in the U.S. Therefore, I am ever eager to discover any new printed literature displaying his recent work.

Thanks a million for posting images from the Moscow show.

Cheers,
Ryan
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

A unique catalogue and poster were produced for the photography exhibition in Germany.
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"