Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse Present Dark Night Of The Soul

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse Present Dark Night Of The Soul

Post by Jerry Horne »

Very cool! Is it numbered on the outside of the book? That's a bit unusual.

** Amazon states that the book will be in stock on June 1st **
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

the number is inside on the first page.
i uploaded the photos opposite of how i had intended.

it is a really beautiful book and album....
-23-
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Oh good. Looks great and I can't wait for mine to ship from Amazon.
Ditchburn

Post by Ditchburn »

I was there at the exhibt just a few hours ago!! My friend who I was with wasn't familiar with the works of Lynch and he didn't like the photos so I couldn't stay very long but I'm going back tomorrow, or Monday if the Michael Kohn Gallery isn't open on Sunday (Damn, is it great living in L.A.). I felt a spokey sense of dis-ease looking at the photos while the music, which of course is very closely thematically linked, was playing, but again since I wasn't nearly there long enough I was sadly deprived the experience of taking all of it in. The photographs themselves were almost all in the Inland Empire vein with what seemed like expansions and variations upon some of that films distinctive imagery, especially from the more intense and dreamier scenes of the film. My absolute favorite work was the Daemonic ballerina in front of the ocean shore panorama, nothing could have prepared me for seeing that! But needless to say all the pictures were astounding and required close inspection down to the tiniest detail. I'll write more once I've gone back!!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Sounds great! I'm so jealous; now you promised to come back and tell us more!
And by the way, welcome to the board!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Hey all

Not sure if this has been posted but the full album is up on piratebay as a bittorrent

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4915624 ... Soul_(VBR)

Just downloading it now so not sure of quality...

I wanted to order the book from Amazon.com but the postage cost was just too high for me so think I'll wait for Amazon.co.uk one. What's the story with 5,000 only copies and numbered copies? Are these only the American editions? Or 5,000 split across US and UK?

Anyhow, hope the bittorrent helps those still looking for online version of album mp3s...
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
fish

Post by fish »

got mine delivered from amazon today. didn't have a chance to really go through it yet but just wanted people to know that it should be showing up for you shortly.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Got mine from Amazon. Ordered two copies. Opened one and my number is #3218

Great photos. I love lynch's photos in general more than his paintings. Everyone use the link here on Dugpa to buy it - it's fab.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Cool Jerry! Please post some pictures for us poor people...thanks.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Well, my old camera sucks and my new one is so complicated I'll have to leave that to someone else. Anyone else get this yet? Anyone get a number under 100?
davidchili

Post by davidchili »

Mine has arrived. The number I got is 4883. :)

Some random photos I took:
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hey, thanks for the pictures, davidchili! I really like the one with the head on the table.......
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

I received my book a few days ago, #4965. It's a nice book but I'm disappointed that the lyrics aren't printed in full anywhere, just the snippets that accompany each photo.

I was glad to learn from the credits though, that the lyrics were written by each artist (who sings). I found it hard to believe that Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse wrote them all (maybe I was stupid to think it, but everything I read mentioned only them as the songwriters). It's just that the songs are so perfect for each singer and fits their style, I felt like they must have written the lyrics individually. I'm a big Robert Pollard fan and he collaborates a lot with other musicians where they will write music and he then adds lyrics and melody, so it's interesting to see this approach used here.

I think David has two of the best songs on the album. And it was interesting to learn how he became involved and was so eager to sing on the album. And in the end apparently, really anchors the album and the theme with his song "DNOTS". Very cool.

I love some of his photographs while some seem fairly ordinary. Others bother me because they now conflict with how I relate to the songs after listening to the album for the past several weeks (which is unfortunate). I think I would have liked the book more if the lyric snippets didn't accompany the photos. Certainly it would have been much more abstract and perhaps frustrating for some but I think it would have worked better for me.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

i think the only thing i don't like about the photos - and this is only specifically in two segments of the book - is that he captures something really amazing with the first photo and then there are three more photos that zoom in on each piece of the already great photo. kind of seems to explain in closer detail what the first photo already told us. which seems very unusual for lynch. hahahaaa.

anyway, i am so glad to have this even though i still haven't burned the cdr because i am waiting for some high quality files. they have to be around somewhere!
-23-
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

j9 wrote:
Annie wrote:Thanks, but how are we gonna know unless there's an official release? Do any of your songs say "featuring David Lynch?" There are two songs that he sings.
Here's the tracklisting and the order of the individual songs as they appear on NPR's "Dark Night" page, which appears to be as close to an "official" release as we're going to get for now.

1- Revenge (Flaming Lips)
2- Just War (Gruff Rhys of The Super Furry Animals)
3- Jaykub (Jason Lytle)
4- Little Girl (Julian Casablancas of The Strokes)
5- Angel's Harp (Frank Black of The Pixies)
6- Pain (Iggy Pop)
7- Star Eyes (I Can't Catch It) (David Lynch)
8- Everytime I'm With You (Jason Lytle)
9- Insane Lullaby (James Mercer of The Shins)
10- Daddy's Gone (Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse and Nina Persson of The Cardigans)
11- The Man Who Played God (Suzanne Vega)
12- Grim Augury (Vic Chesnutt)
13- Dark Night Of The Soul (David Lynch)

I think the titles are part of the lyrics for nearly all of the songs, so it shouldn't be too hard to check and match the right title/artist with the right file. And you can still play the individual tracks on the NPR page just to make sure things match.

Hope this helps.
Shouldn't that say "5- Angel's Harp (Black Francis of The Pixies)"? The poster lists a Black Francis but your listing doesn't. A Wikipedia check also confirmed Black Francis as a member of The Pixies.