David Lynch Lime Green Box Set Discussion

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

cubist
Roadhouse Member

Re: David Lynch Lime Green Box Set Discussion

Post by cubist »

Christian1989 wrote: With this set Lynch offers quality when it comes to sound and picture. For me never-before-seen extras from The Elephant Man, a new remastered print of Blue Velvet, Industrial Symphony and a interview, as well as the magnificient Mystery Disc is extremely satisfying. Let's not forget the booklet. So what's left? Eraserhead, Eraserhead OST, The Elephant Man and Wild at Heart.

For some people this can be nothing, or it can be frustrating. It is indeed. If you're not interested in keeping your old releases, why not sell them on Ebay, Amazon marketplace or other stores?

P.S.: I am not trying to start a row with anyone, as this has happened on this forum several times before leading to nothing.
In your "so what's left" bit you missed out Dumbland & Short Films. THat makes 6 DVDs that I have already. 7 if you include the Elephant Man movie itself. This, for me, makes this set an expensive luxury. My copies of Eraserhead & Short Films are the ones in the big boxes that DL.COM issued a few years back and cost around $60 dollars each by the time they got to me. This is why many of the long-term Lynch collectors on this site feel exasperated by this release.

But it's great that you are happy with your set. If i were in your position and didn't have many Lynch movies, I would be delighted too.
kerplooey
Roadhouse Member

Post by kerplooey »

I am still feeling confused about the commercial logics behind this release.

I understand that the fans who have everything and need to buy it all again to get the unreleased material get upset and see Lynch as some greedy businessman, but as I see this:

1) Making the mystery disc and the IS#1 DVD costs money.
2) The more people buy it, the more money it makes.
3) Not packaging the unreleased material seperately prevents the basic audience for this material, who won't -or can't afford to- buy the whole thing, from buying it.

What kind of greedy businessman funds some unreleased material and then releases it in a package that cuts the product from what may constitute the majority of buyers? Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but I sincerly do think that the number of people who eventually buy this (those who hadn't bought the previously available films, and those who had, are pretty upset about this, but still will shell out the money) will be much smaller than the number who would have bought it seperately, and thus -costly set or not- it will just add up to making less money than it could have.

What WOULD make sense though, in the greedy businessman perspective, would be that whithin 6 months to a year, the material does get released seperately, but can you imagine how upset those who ended up buying the whole set while they already owned most of the material will get?

I can't say I'd blame them.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

I think Lynch should inform his fans as to whether the new stuff will go out as separates in the future. Originally i assumed they would. But if this lime green thing is indeed the first part of a repackaging of all his work, then maybe not....

Whatever - my regard for Mr Lynch's integrity has taken a bit of a battering. That'll teach me to put people on pedestals. Everyone has a price and everyone, in the end, will prostitute their art.

And I WILL have those deleted scenes...somehow...one day!
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Neither Lynch nor Absurda have the rights to distribute Industrial Symphony, Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, or Wild at Heart. Unlike Eraserhead, they do not own these films.

The deal with the studios allow for these films to only be sold as part of the Lime Green box set.

From what I've been told, all deals with the studios to allow for the inclusion in the box were extremely hard to negotiate and in many cases the studios support for the box set was more of a courtesy to Lynch as they generally do no license their films out to independent distributors.

As for the Wild at Heart Deleted Scenes, I am guessing Absurda licensed them from MGM since they own the film elements. I would even guess that Industrial Symphony will get a release from Warner Bros. at some point in time. As to the Wild at Heart Deleted Scenes, who knows... Maybe they will appear on a Blu-ray release eventually. Purely speculation on my part though.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

dugpa wrote:The deal with the studios allow for these films to only be sold as part of the Lime Green box set.
That is unfortunate for many older fans, I was starting to feel that we, who have followed DL for many years, were being cut lose, that bridges to his old loyal fans were being burnt in favour for a new generation of fans, one with, among other things, a greater spending power.

Someone must have thought out the content and price for the 'lime green set' though, and realized it's impact on the varied strata of fans. So I guess that the disappointment to many older fans (those without money to burn) had been added to the marketing equation and thought worth while.

I personally will be placing a moratorium on my Lynch purchases until the clouds clear and I can see the future horizon on the way things are going. I can only hope that it will be more sunny.
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

snikgrif wrote:
dugpa wrote:The deal with the studios allow for these films to only be sold as part of the Lime Green box set.
That is unfortunate for many older fans, I was starting to feel that we, who have followed DL for many years, were being cut lose, that bridges to his old loyal fans were being burnt in favour for a new generation of fans, one with, among other things, a greater spending power.

Someone must have thought out the content and price for the 'lime green set' though, and realized it's impact on the varied strata of fans. So I guess that the disappointment to many older fans (those without money to burn) had been added to the marketing equation and thought worth while.

I personally will be placing a moratorium on my Lynch purchases until the clouds clear and I can see the future horizon on the way things are going. I can only hope that it will be more sunny.
First of all, as a new member I'd like to say hi. Second of all, I wouldn't take it so personally snikgrif. Think about it this way, if Lynch had released a bare bones set with no extras he'd probably be criticized for that too. Was he supposed to just let the Wild At Heart scenes sit around? If he hadn't released them on the Mystery Disc, then he would have probably released a new Wild At Heart disc with the scenes and people still would have said that he was trying to cheat them. As a relatively new fan who only has one of the DVDs included in this set, I'm glad he released it and I'm a little offended that you are implying that new fans are all a bunch of rich brats who just throw money away at will. I know that's not exactly what you meant though, so no hard feelings. I know it's kind of annoying especially because, as a newer fan, I was able to just waltz in and see all of Twin Peaks on DVD and now get this set, but I'm absolutely sure that David Lynch still values his older fans and just wants to get his work out there the best he can as any artist would. Sorry you feel betrayed now but you'll be thanking us new fans later when the success of this set leads to the release of the FWWM deleted scenes. :D
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

[quote="yvanehtnioj1214/] First of all, as a new member I'd like to say hi. .....Was he supposed to just let the Wild At Heart scenes sit around? If he hadn't released them on the Mystery Disc, then he would have probably released a new Wild At Heart disc with the scenes and people still would have said that he was trying to cheat them. [/quote]

Hi!

If he released a new WAH together with the deleted scenes, no-one would complain since it wouldn't cost very much. DVDs are upgraded all the time. I understand more now, with the distribution deals with the film companies, why this is a big expensive box. But it still doesn't make the fact that a Lynch Holy Grail lurks within it any easier to deal with! However since he doesn't own the deleted scenes, maybe they will emerge as a separate one day.

Meantime - enjoy your expensive set of disks rich fan!! :wink:
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

yvanehtnioj1214 wrote:I'm a little offended that you are implying that new fans are all a bunch of rich brats who just throw money away at will.
That is of course not what I mean!

New and/or younger buyer's have not already spent a lot of money on previous releases, so their budgets, as far as DL is concerned, have had little impact so far and in the round have more of a financial impetus. This is what I mean by 'among other things', newcomers don't have shelves full already with most of the items on sale here. If you had already bought several releases of much of what is on this product, would you not feel it expensive, if all you want is one item on it?

As for thanking you for possibly getting the release of the deleted scenes of FWWM .... With respect, I think others will get that thanks first, many have spent many years calling for them, and hopefully, if you want them, you will be thanking them. As I have already said, if they come in another set with all the programs I have bought before and price to match, it will again be frustrating.

What I don't understand is why this legitimate complaint about the lime green set is so irksome for some, it is out there as it is, so if it is to their liking, go and enjoy, be happy! How is my complaint going to upset them? Unless they need to justify it to themselves? Don't bother. Or are they trying to sell it to me and others? I have given valid reasons to why I don't favour this set. Does the fact that I won't pay this high price for IS#1 mean that I am not enough of a fan in some peoples eyes?

Anyway, that over with, welcome to the forum. :D
Si

cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

snikgrif wrote:What I don't understand is why this legitimate complaint about the lime green set is so irksome for some, it is out there as it is, so if it is to their liking, go and enjoy, be happy! How is my complaint going to upset them? Unless they need to justify it to themselves? Don't bother. Or are they trying to sell it to me and others? I have given valid reasons to why I don't favour this set. Does the fact that I won't pay this high price for IS#1 mean that I am not enough of a fan in some peoples eyes?
I get the impression that we are seen as killjoys, because David Lynch can do no wrong and has gone to such a lot of effort. As far as I'm concerned, and being a killjoy, I'd rather he hadn't bothered as the existence of this set is just stressing me out!
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

cubist wrote:I get the impression that we are seen as killjoys, because David Lynch can do no wrong and has gone to such a lot of effort. As far as I'm concerned, and being a killjoy, I'd rather he hadn't bothered as the existence of this set is just stressing me out!
Yeh! and stress is not a good mix, not with my medication :mrgreen:

As for me taking it personally, isn't this the pot calling the kettle. I am not criticizing anyone who has bought this set, yet you would think that I had just insulted a member of their family or something. A little bit sensitive methinks. For some this set is undoubtedly fantastic, some amazing stuff on it, it has nothing to do with my problem with it.

I think I will have to take a hiatus on this and absorb myself into one of my other interests for awhile, a book on the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood beckons, or maybe the Cubists, what do you think? :D
Si

Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Deleted.
Last edited by Christian1989 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

Christian1989 wrote:I doubled- and even triple-dipped and I'm 19. :lol: I don't know if I'm an 'old' fan, as of 2004?
If you have bought that many, I would say that you are at least middle aged :)
Si

ctyankee

Post by ctyankee »

It's interesting how people view things differently. I've made whatever points I wanted to make about the merits (or lack thereof) of the set but wanted to just talk about the general value proposition.

Say there is a new restaurant in Outland, Montana called Catching The Big Fish. They specialize in tuna and other seafood. Say I'm invited there by a friend. All the offerings seem high priced and while the fish is fantastically prepared it seems a trifle stale. Upon hearing my thoughts my friend says "well, even if the fish is rushed out air freight the day it's caught, the restaurateur doesn't get it until it gets trucked here. And everyone knows the Japanese pay the most and other larger restaurants are bigger customers so he can't get the best fish and what he can get is still going to be pricey. So, it's about the best we can expect in these parts, given the circumstances.

I would respond, 'so why are we here?' Further if I were that restaurateur I would broaden my menu by buying local freshwater fish, serve it fresh the day it's caught, make it a good value that will appeal to people and rename the place The Daily Catch.

I guess it's how you see things.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

I don't think that the Absurda is a rip-off company.Look at the IE release,it's one of the most stacked releases i've ever encountered.As dugpa has pointed,it was really hard to assemble this set and that justifies the price a bit (though even the 90$ deal wasn't appreciated,i think that people will stop complaining if the set costed the price that they were willing to pay for IS ONLY).Taking this into consideration,i don't think that the target audience is the fan that owns everything.I am sure that if it wasn't for DL,no-one would have cared to release Industrial Symphony or other rarities.

P.S. Didn't anyone buy the set so we could talk about it and not just beef about it? 8)
ctyankee

Post by ctyankee »

Pete Martell wrote:I don't think that the Absurda is a rip-off company.Look at the IE release,it's one of the most stacked releases i've ever encountered.As dugpa has pointed,it was really hard to assemble this set and that justifies the price a bit (though even the 90$ deal wasn't appreciated,i think that people will stop complaining if the set costed the price that they were willing to pay for IS ONLY).Taking this into consideration,i don't think that the target audience is the fan that owns everything.I am sure that if it wasn't for DL,no-one would have cared to release Industrial Symphony or other rarities.

P.S. Didn't anyone buy the set so we could talk about it and not just beef about it? 8)
Well, the facts are that Industrial Symphony has been released on both laser disc and vhs tape and it wasn't Lynch that released them. Also, to call IE an Absurda release is not accurate. Certainly that Absurda provided supplementary content is a fairer statement. Further, I hope we can lose the turn "rip-off" as it implies that someone is not getting what they actually purchased. To me, whether the box set is worth purchasing is open for discussion, that people aren't receiving what they paid for is not at all valid.